Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shrews and Cuckolds- The Merry Wives of Windsor

"This is the short and the long of it." Act II Scene II



Wonderfully done PSF! I thoroughly enjoyed this play and loved the ideas which were so pertinant in my past weekend in which I spent the weekend dealing with jealousy and mistrust. Since it is my personal goal to behave with grace and class, I am hoping to be able to not dwell on the insanity that is someone else's life, for if it is my insanity, it is their reality, and that is all I need to remember.



Shakespeare plays reminded me greatly of our class discussion in class today. We were discussing the idea of teaching idiomatic sayings and figurative language and it's importnance in the understanding and learning of English among students learning English as their second or third/fourth etc language. Figurative lanugage and idioms are diffficult to understand when you are not familiar with all aspects of the culture. This is important to remember in talking about diverse students. I still struggle with some things from American culture which were not available to me during my time living as a native in England.



I was then reminded how many of our idioms and sayings in English come from Shakespeare plays. And what they mean. I find thinking about the reasons and backgrounds to certain expressions very interesting and some are still confusing to me
"indian giver"??

"the hair of the dog?"

What exactly do these mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment