
Do I think that racism is inherant or taught? If Aibileen had stayed working for Miss Elizabeth would Mae Mobley have grown up to be racist?
-This question is an interesting one as I feel there are more factors to the answer than inherent or taught. There are also societal influences. Thinking about these characters and their futures I feel that Mae Mobley still had the ability to make her own decisions when she got older. Even at her still young age she knew that her momma was not a kind woman. She was afraid of her and felt Aibileen's compassion. May Mobely may well have grown into the world to become an agent of change, or she may have feel vicitim to the societal pressures of the southern white woman.
The characters in this story are brilliantly written. I feel that maybe May Mobley would grow up to be like Skeeter and to feel that she was lucky to have such a wonderful balck woman to care for her and to teach her the compassion and empathy that their mothers could not teach them.
Overall, this book was excellent and well-written. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Help and couldn't put it down when I was reading it. I was glad to have heard of it through a recommendation, and would readily recommend it to others as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment