So this past summer, I took a pottery wheel class at the Banana Factory, in Bethlehem. It was a 10 week class and wasn't particularly cheap. I found at first, the clay was really messy and the way it made my hands feel was not at all pleasant. I found I was washing my hands often and they became dry feeling. But with help from the teacher, it was not so bad. I was able to make a small wobbly pot. The following week, more and more pots. And after 10 weeks, there were many pots. The feeling of taking a piece of clay and molding it into a shape, of just being able to feel the clay move through your hands, of taking pieces of clay from the pot you are creating, was fabulous for me.
The process was difficult but I thoroughly enjoyed the class. The final day of class was very overwhelming for me, as the class was to glaze our pots. There were so many options and choices for what colors to make the pots that I wasn't able to fully decide well what I wanted for each pot or mug. I wasn't sure what colors things would turn out after fired, but I know that the next class I do will be easier to decide.
I know that this medium for artistic expression is something that I really enjoyed and at which I would like to get more proficient.
So it is my hope that I will be able to take another class soon and enjoy myself at that one as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment